Pure Dog Remedies
Alleviate your dog’s pain with natural, nature-based substances
Explore our tips for using homeopathic treatments and herbal supplements to improve your dog’s quality of life.
From fleas to leukemia, there are many different ailments that can affect dogs, with joint pain being one of the most inhibiting. When a dog’s mobility is limited, it can be difficult or impossible for him to perform even the most basic activities.
As pet owners seek alternatives to standard remedies for canine arthritis, herbal and homeopathic treatments have been brought into the limelight. Homeopathy, the practice of using natural herbs, minerals, and plant-based substances to promote health and well-being, is no longer seen as wildly unconventional. In fact, many mainstream pet owners have started adopting these remedies. In addition to costing less than pricey veterinary fees, many believe that natural remedies promote higher levels of health and wellness for animals. Plus, natural treatments are generally regarded as posing less of a risk to the dog’s health.
Similar to vaccinations, homeopathy is based on the frequent administration of small doses over time. When exposed to the substance gradually, pets build up a stronger immune system that fosters self-healing. Instead of treating the symptoms of a condition, homeopathic medicine focuses on strengthening the immune system, encouraging it to naturally combat disease or infection.
Common Homeopathic Treatments
Dog owners who prefer all-natural remedies may use the following homeopathic remedies for common canine ailments:
- Arthritis: Many believe that sea mussels promote the strengthening of a dog’s cartilage, which can result in reduced joint pain.
- Anxiety: If a dog develops symptoms of nervousness and panic, he can be soothed by the administering of passion flower, valerian, and skullcap to help soothe frayed nerves.
- Allergies: If your dog exhibits an allergic reaction to a certain food, the dispensing of dandelion root, red clover, or fennel seed can help to flush out toxins from the animal’s body.
- Kennel Cough: Mucous build-up can be reduced by the application of bromium, aconte, and drosera, herbs that work to strengthen the animal’s immune system.
- Constipation: Digestive problems can be alleviated by the administering of organic flax seed, which provides your dog with Omega-3 fatty acids that promote regularity.
- Diarrhea: Restore digestive health by adding podophyllum peltatum and aloe socotrina to your dog’s daily medications.
Tips for Administering Natural Remedies
- Homeopathic medicines are most effective when given to the dog on an empty stomach. Administer them first thing in the morning before your dog has eaten, or at least a few hours after his last meal. This allows the substances to enter his bloodstream more quickly.
- Acupuncture and acupressure are two popular holistic procedures that can help to ease your dog’s pain and restore balance to his body. Many use these treatments as supplements to standard medications or other homeopathic solutions.
- You can give your dog more frequent dosages of herbal remedies than you can for standard prescription medications, as the risk of side effects is greatly decreased.
- Before beginning a homeopathic treatment for your dog, be sure to speak with a traditional or holistic veterinarian to verify the diagnosis and ensure your pet’s safety.